"It will be interesting to see if any UK news media, has the guts to show
what they (CHARLIE) print on Wednesday, or will it be a case of not in
our back yard.
Cameron talked about free speech, lets see."
"The Guardian has 10 times the guts of the DM - the Charlie Hebdo cover is on the front page."
"No paper will show the cartoon in this country, every one is too afraid
of reprisals. In this respect the terrorist have won. Absolute
rubbish, the picture is on the front page of The Guardian."
Charlie Hebdo's new cover of a crying Prophet Mohammed above the
slogan "All is Forgiven" has been reproduced by media around the world -
but some Muslims have seen it as blasphemy.
The front page of
the French satirical magazine - its first since many of its staff were
slain in a jihadist attack last week that left 12 people dead - has been
widely taken up by media in Western nations and in Latin America.
It
shows Mohammed on a green background under the title "All is forgiven",
holding up a sign saying "Je suis Charlie" ("I am Charlie").
Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Renald "Luz" Luzier said "I cried" after drawing it.
But
Egypt's state-sponsored Islamic authority, Dar al-Ifta, quickly
denounced it as "an unjustified provocation against the feelings of 1.5
billion Muslims".
Tabnak, a conservative online outlet in Iran, an Islamic
republic notorious for throwing many journalists in jail, stormed that
"Charlie Hebdo has again insulted the Prophet".
Major media in many Arab, and some African and Asian countries as
well as Turkey, did not show the cover because many devout Muslims view
any depiction of their prophet as forbidden.
In Australia, the ABC, News Corp Australia websites, the West Australian and ninemsn are among those to publish.
"It's news and as far as we're concerned we're in the news business," The West Australian editor in chief Bob Cronin told AAP.
"This
is not racial, what's racial about it? We've got a picture of Mohammed.
What race was he? People confuse the Racial Discrimination Act with
cultural comment."
The New Zealand Herald won't be publishing.
The Herald's longstanding policy is not to publish imagery designed to cause offence to religious or ethnic communities.
It
is not a response to the views of extremists or jihadists, which the
Herald of course opposes, but to respect the sensibilities of mainstream
believers.
Fairfax publications The Sydney Morning Herald and
The Age published the cover late in the day, while Daily Mail Australia
opted against running the image, a decision made by its London head
office.
Internationally, the BBC, New York Times and CNN did not publish the cover, while The Guardian, El Pais and Der Spiegel did.
Charlie
Hebdo is to print up to three million copies of its new "survivors'
issue", due out tomorrow-- far more than the usual 60,000 before last
week's attack and a historic record for a French publication. Money from
sales will go to the victims' families.
According to the French
press distribution company MLP, the new issue will be available in many
countries that previously never received the weekly, including Australia
-- where strong demand was reported -- and in India, where there are
around 170 million Muslims.
French, Italian and Turkish versions
will be printed, while translations in three other languages -- English,
Spanish and Arabic -- will be offered in electronic form,
editor-in-chief Gerard Biard told a Paris news conference.
The issue will include caricatures by its five murdered cartoonists.
An
advance copy obtained by AFP contained cartoons mocking the two
Islamists who carried out the attack. One has them arriving in paradise
and asking, "Where are the 70 virgins?"
"With the Charlie team, losers," comes the reply.
The
remaining Charlie Hebdo staff who put the issue together said putting
Mohammed on the cover showed they would not "cede" to extremists wanting
to silence them.
Yet the fact that many non-European outlets did
not reproduce the front page cartoon revealed unease about the magazine
being elevated to a global champion for freedom of expression.
Major Arab broadcasters Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera did not show the cover in their reports.
Most French media outlets, including newspapers Le Monde, Liberation, Le Figaro, published images of the Charlie Hebdo cover.
The
rector of Paris's mosque, Dalil Boubakeur, urged France's Muslims "to
remain calm" over the cover "by avoiding emotional reactions... and
respecting freedom of opinion".
The head of a big mosque in
central eastern Paris, Hammad Hammami, voiced a similar stand. "We don't
want to throw oil on the fire," he said. "We consider these caricatures
to be acceptable. They are not degrading for the Prophet," unlike
previous Charlie Hebdo cartoons.
Britain's The Independent
newspaper was the only major daily in London to put the image in its
print version. The BBC news website did not show it.
Almost none of the newspapers in Italy and in Russia carried the cover image.
The
New York Times website reported on the Mohammed cover but provided
readers only with a link to the site of the French newspaper Liberation.
Major television networks also did not reproduce the cover.
The Wall Street Journal, though, did, and so did tabloids such as the New York Daily News.